Saturday, April 24, 2010

Busy last couple of days

So yesterday was my last unit test in nursing 110. I had been studying like crazy, but still woke up in a panic at 2AM. (Sad, huh?) Anyway, I went and took the test, and as usual, I did okay but not as well as I thought I should have. I was way too tired and marked answers I KNEW were wrong!

Since the exam was the only thing on the school calendar, I got out of school early. Stud Muffin met me at school and took me out to lunch. Then he dropped me back at school to get my car and I followed him home. I had to stop for gas so I came in some time after he did.

Apparently, I missed the action. Studly let the dogs out and they took off after some forest critter, which climbed a tree. I don't know what kind of animal it was, but Studly shot it out of the tree and killed it before I got home. We need to dig a hole and bury it.

I was so tired that all I wanted to do was take a nap. I ran the dogs down the hill and back for some exercise, and Nick took off to do whatever dogs do in the forest.

This is how he looked when he came home:

Covered in creek water and rolled in bovine excrement. He smelled worse than old gym shoes, with chunks of cr*p hanging off of his fur. Oh joy. Time to get out the hose and the dog wash. No nap for me.

We were warned that we were in for some severe weather last night, and Mother Nature didn't let us down. Violent storms, lightning, and house-shaking thunder. Sassy hates storms and jumps around the bed barking, growling loudly and generally warning the noise off. Back up at 12:30Am hoping to find the radar map on TV so I knew how much longer it would last. No satellite reception, no internet. Nothing but flashes and thunder, with cracking tree sounds mixed in. It was like trying to sleep during a Guns 'n Roses concert.

Today was my last clinical session at the nursing home for the semester. I REALLY didn't want to go. But I did, and everyone brought food. The workload was light, and fun was had, but it was scary with the storms strengthening. There were radios blaring at every nurse's station, and I overheard the staff discussing emergency plans if the tornado sirens started.

The group with our instructor in red. I'm the tired person with her hand on Whitney's shoulder.

Seems like we are one of the few clinical groups that haven't lost any students! Another accomplishment to go with our nutrition win.

So, I am back home now, the storm has subsided for the moment, but there are tornadoes down in Mississippi. We are in for it through Sunday some time. Hope I don't have to take my nap in the storm shelter!


Cheryl said...

Wow~look at you. I *might* even take pills dispensed by you all dressed up in your dress whites!

We are melting out. It is wet, wet, wet and cold...


P.S. How do you shoot a critter out of a tree and bury it and not know WHAT IT IS?

Thinking it is a good thing you are not in Dr. Doolittle school...

Lisa said...

Cheryl ~ I'm thinking it's time for new glasses for you! I said we STILL have to dig a hole and bury it. I haven't seen it with my own (failing) eyes yet. It is lying on the ground hidden by undergrowth at the moment. LOL

Cheryl said...

Dear Studly,

What is the critter from the tree? If it is a secret I won't tell Lisa :-)


vegas angie said...

Congrats on getting through!! And I mean the tests and all but the storms too. I can't wait to see you in the red scrubs some day. Attagirl, Lisa!!

Did you figure out the dead animal carcass? Maybe it should be a contest. The winner gets one of those pretty patient trays your team worked up.

Lisa said...

Angie ~ Don't get ahead of yourself. All I have done is not bomb out in my first semester!! Well, I have 4 hours worth of exams this week, so there is still time.

And I really don't know what the critter is. I haven't seen it yet (or hopefully never.) Studly is convinced that it is a beaver, but I don't think they can climb trees.