Friday, July 22, 2011

A bad start to a girl's weekend

Both my girls came to visit me on the same weekend.

I know!! I haven't even seen Liz for a year, and she hasn't been home for at least 2 years.



It sucks when your children grow up and leave the nest.

So, Liz had a rocky time flying out here. It included 2 arrivals where there was no gate available to deplane and her carry-on luggage ending up (thankfully) in the checked baggage.

Courtney drove down from St Louis after work and was expected at around 10 PM. At 9:00 PM, she called to say she'd been hit by a deer on a dark 4 lane highway about an hour from home and her car was un-drivable. Thankfully, she was unhurt but the deer lost it's head and flew back onto the median!

Since she takes winding back roads that I've never been on, I needed her directions to find her. Following these instructions, Liz and I headed out to pick her up, while we all made phone calls to the insurance company emergency number and AAA for a tow.

Unfortunately, in her rattled state, she had us get on the interstate GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. In the dark, using the phone to relay calls and check in with her, we didn't realize the mistake until we had gone 40 miles out of our way. Drat!



The tow-truck driver was kind enough to wait with her for 30 minutes until we could arrive (whereas in many communities he probably would have left!) but even with a AAA membership, we had to some up with $112 in cash at 11 PM. Apparently, AAA will only tow you 5 miles for free. Around here, there IS nothing within 5 miles. Even getting into my "home" town is 8 miles from my house!

So, we scrounged the cash, found Courtney, followed the truck to the dealership, and finally got home around 12:30 AM.

Yeah...that's deer poop by the door!

This morning, we went back to the dealership and since they don't actually do body work, had them remove the plastic wheel-well liner that was blocking the tire and drove slowly 30 miles to the insurance approved body shop.

The good news is that the body shop works directly with the insurance company to get the car put back together and we don't have to be directly involved. The better news? $0 deductible when forest critters attack your car in the middle of the night!

The bad news: it will take 2 weeks to get parts and fix everything. So, I am lending Courtney my car for the duration and will be driving the pick-up truck. But every cloud has a silver lining, so I get to see Courtney again in about two weeks to pick up her car!!

Eyeball measuring thingy on Liz's new glasses. Courtney being Courtney in the background!

Between spending 2 hours getting Liz and eye exam and some new glasses, and transferring Courtney's car to the body shop, we did have some fun at lunch.



I think we were all a little punch-drunk from the stress and lack of sleep, but lunch at the Olive Garden was a laugh riot!

Mommy just wants a nice picture of her girls!

Courtney! Quit dancing!




So here is to hoping that the rest of the girl's weekend is fun-filled and free of random wildlife attacks!

Finally! The picture I was trying for!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Beautiful picture!

And I am glad you clarified from your FB post that you just drove the wrong direction on the hwy and didn't get on going the wrong way!!! I had you going against potential traffic for 40 miles in my addled brain...

MYS