Friday, July 20, 2012

Thrifty finds

I went out on Wednesday for a little thrifting fix.  Usually, I have a couple of things I'm hoping to find, but the real thrill is in not knowing what surprises might be waiting for you.

This time, I was looking for some candlesticks, photo frames, possibly some hinges or knobs for future projects and then hoping for something neat.

This is what I found:



Some cute spice jars with ceramic tops.


An extra long loaf pan (heavy), some Mardi Gras beads (I have a plan for these!)  and some photo frames.


I found a decoupaged box with some missing metal trim.  I'm sure I can redo this, but if nothing else, the hardware can be reused.


The metal tray is probably 18" across and has some detail that is hard to see on the surface.  I think if I polish it and maybe glaze over it, the pattern will show better.  For $1.99, I couldn't leave it behind!  There is a metal cash box in the back, and a ceramic bird sitting on top.


This electrical box jumped into my cart!  Really!  Somehow, I saw a vintage-y first aid kit out of this.


There are a lot of pre-fab holes in the back and side, but the creamy color and keys are winners.  I will probably going to have to clad the inside with something and make a shelf for it, but I can already envision the graphic painted on the front.


The "neat" find was this Asian-inspired chest.  It is is about 15" inches high and 2 feet wide, with 3 small drawers.  This one is destined for Courtney's house, after some touch-up, of course.


I did find more frames and some candlesticks, but was so excited to start the project, I forgot to take a "before" picture!  I saw this idea on the internet and had to try it for Liz's house. (Shh!  She doesn't know yet!)  Basically, you glue the frames to the top of candlesticks and then paint everything.  These candlesticks are metal, but were a horrible gold color with hot pink accents.  Now they are sparkling white and ready for her photos.


Speaking of Liz's house, I went over on Thursday to take a few things and go shopping with her.   First up, a little metal footstool that originally was so frugly, I couldn't risk breaking my camera taking the "before" shot!  Picture a black frame and worn-out, avacado green/gold fabric.  Yuck!  The frame was also missing one of the metal leaves that graced the top of each leg.


I trashed the cushion and cut a new piece of plywood (cuz...ew!) then covered it with new foam and some leftover fabric from her desk chair makeover.  I cut some metal flowers off of one of those wire letter thingies little girls hang in their bedroom, and glued them to the footstool legs.  Everything was painted ivory, but then the flowers didn't show up much, so I dry brushed some Oops blue paint over it to match the blue in the fabric.


I painted a candle tray blue (by request) to hold the decorated mason jars in her bedroom.


This is the formerly peach lamp base, wearing distressed blue-grey paint and a new shade.  Which isn't really crooked, BTW, and the base isn't really this dark.  I just suck at photography!  And lest you think I am the only one doing crafty things for this apartment, Liz painted the pink mason jars next to the lamp!


She also mounted black and white photos on canvas and hung them on this hook rack in her guest room hall.


Tiffany, Liz's house guest from last week, brought her two of these really cool bottle mounts on distressed plaques, that she made herself!  The hardware is so neat and industrial looking, but my close-up came out blurry.  I told you my photography blew the big one!
 


Anyway, I bought two glass bottles at Hobby Lobby because nobody drinks wine around here! We hung these above the bedside tables in the master. 

And then we went shopping and out for lunch.  After our shopping trip, the new footstool has a friend!  This is Pasquale the Porcine.  He's French and very snooty and currently demanding a tiara, because apparently he's also gay!


Liz found some bird coasters that had so far eluded her.  I don't have a picture of them, but Tabitha checked them out and gave her approval.


Liz and I bought some other things, but we'll talk about them later.  Or maybe Liz will!

No comments: