Monday, October 8, 2012

Hey, Diddle Diddle

It's about time that I showed a project that's almost finished. ( Please pay absolutely NO attention to the views of my various work stations.  They pretty much cover the whole house, and garage... and yard.)

From deep in the pile of crap stuff treasures, comes this wooden child's rocking chair that I found at the Goodwill. I forgot to take a true "before" picture (cuz I thought I already had! Getting old is tough!)


The poor thing had been rode hard, as was about to rock itself to pieces. Pretty much the entire bottom half had to come off for repair. Of course, that entailed chiseling out old dried glue and removing itty-bitty nails that were supposed to keep the chair together.

Following lots of gluing and clamping, I painted the chair a lovely Pebble color and tried to decide how to decorate it.  I settled on a Hey, Diddle Diddle theme and found a great graphic at the Graphics Fairy for the seat. I played around with fonts to create the title for the top rail, then tried them on the chair for size.



First up was a water-slip decal for the seat.


This was to be my first attempt at creating a stencil using my new Silhouette Cameo!  It took a couple of runs, but I got it done and stuck the stencil on the curved back of the chair.


I covered the stencil with blue paint, then peeled the vinyl away immediately.  And it ate part of the new paint job!  (I think I might like it!)



It took some time to lift all the small pieces in the letters "D" and "e", and some of the letters got smudged.


Stud Muffin thinks the messy letters adds to the charm.  What do you think?  Maybe I'll fix the letters, maybe I won't.   I still need to distress the chair in a few more places and give it a good wax job, so I will leave you with the "almost" finished look.


3 comments:

Resa @ PitcherAndPlate.com said...

Ok, first of all, I LOVE your tag line! Ha, ha! YES - blogging and chocolate = very therapeutic! Secondly, I love your humor. I must come back often to see what you have to say. (You cheered me up tonight.) And third, your chair is adorable. Great job! And I agree that the "messy" letters add to the charm.

Lisa said...

Hi, Resa! Thanks for stopping by. Sometimes it gets lonely just talking with my junque projects! That's where the chocolate comes in. Nah! Chocolate comes in when I can find an excuse!

Thanks for your lovely words about my blog and chair. The messy letters are growing on me quite a bit!

Cheryl said...

That is really cute and would look very nice in my bedroom...hint hint...But my hints never work :-(

MYS