Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The end of an era

Okay, just the end of blackberry picking.  And it hasn't really been an era, but a couple years at least.



I woke up this morning at 4:30 and by 6:30 or so figured I was not going back to bed.  So, I dressed for bear (or chiggers) and headed out to pick more blackberries.  It's been a good year for them, and they need picking every couple of days.

But we didn't get very far.


As I was picking the huge hill of canes at the end of the driveway, Sassy was snorfling around under the shrubs looking for fallen berries.  Suddenly, she jumped and backed out swinging a snake!  She was really beating the wang-doodle out of it!

And not a black chicken snake, either.  It was a copperhead!  Sh*t! Cr*p!  and Eeew!



Once I got Sassy to drop the dang thing, I realized that her face was bleeding and she had been bit.  Double dang!

I did what any self-respecting, squeamish farm girl would do...I ran over it with my buggy!  But the sucker was still moving!

In about 10-15 minutes,  Sassy was flopped on the lawn not acting herself.  So, it was off to the vet for us, hoping all the way that they were open at 8 AM.


The poor thing needed 3 shots and a week of antibiotic treatment.  I knew that the meds were going to be required, but didn't realize that snake bites get necrotic easily due to the filthy mouths on those beasts.  Just what she needs!  Bad enough to get bit on the nose without having it rot and fall off too.

Stud Muffin suggested that I should shoot the snake before throwing in the woods (so Nick won't rolled in snake-fume.)  I took a gun out, but was pretty sure it was finally dead.  I fired off a few rounds and only managed to shred some blackberries.  Guess hopping around shrieking really throws off my usually good aim!

So, my blackberry-picking days are over.  Studly said he would give me $1000 to buy all the blackberries I want at the supermarket, as long as I don't go picking them for myself.  It's going to be difficult to drive past all those black jewels just waiting to be picked, but then I'll think of the snakes lurking within, piss my pants, and go to the Piggly Wiggly.

Edited:  Sassy wants to know if you think this bite makes her face look fat.  She thinks so!


Update:  Had to return to the vet for pain meds when Sassy started looking like a Saint Bernard and refusing to move.


Aren't those jowls sad??  Poor Sassy!


1 comment:

Joan said...

Once the fear wears off, might you be able to take a stick, whack the bushes a bunch, chase the snake off, and then pick?
But then again,mMaybe next year, that was one heck of a close call.
Sounds like your vet was all prepared for such excitement.