The first thing we found was a screen to use as the headboard of her bed. Now, she didn't have to worry about finding an entire bedroom set that she liked.
Then we found the cast-iron base of an old Singer sewing machine in a junk store. It had no top, so we looked for a suitable replacement. I painted the base ivory, left it pretty "chippy" and distressed a wooden tray to use for the top.
I was worried that the weight of the base would wreck the tray if anyone tried to pick the table up, so at Stud Muffin's suggestion, I built a frame on the base and a smaller frame attached to the tray bottom to nest in the base. (Did that make any sense?)
And as they say in the country...Wa-la! A bedside table with removable tray top!
We found another table that was marked way down because it had a broken drawer and leg. A bit of wood glue fixed the problems, and she got a table for about 25% of the original price.
Another table was found at the same store that the Singer base came from. For $20, I picked up this table, painted it a pretty blue and then dry-brushed a taupe-grey paint over it.
I am seriously getting into this whole buy-something-and-distress/age it anyway I want. I scoured the local Goodwill and found this organizer thingy on a turning base to use for the tv remotes.
I also found this organizer and have just finished painting and sanding it for Liz.
But, shhhhhh! It's a surprise! If she likes it, it may find a home on the narrow table/desk that I'm building for her guest room/office. I know! Can you believe that I am