Over the winter, I shut off the water to the vegetable garden. Or I thought I did until one frozen night when one of the sprinklers in the raised beds cracked. The next day when the sun warmed things up, water, water spraying everywhere!! I found out that I hadn't closed the valve just that leeetle bit more.
Now this wasn't a problem; I would just have the landscaper replace the setup when he came to do my other work. Of course the road debacle put the landscaping on indefinite hold, but I was still going to need the water turned back on!
So I did what any other farmer wannabe would do. I hit the Home Depot for some do-it-yourself parts! I got help from my visiting plumber cutting off the offending sprinkler.
Turns out most of these parts are cracked!
What's left in the raised bed. Oh, and a tomato plant saying Hi.
I probably looked like a dork walking through HD with this entire pipe contraption, but I held my head high, and my pipe like a weapon! It took about a half hour and help from a plumbing guy with a tall ladder to gather the required replacement parts.
Not shown... a ten foot length of PVC pipe.
This morning, I put it all together with PVC primer and PVC cement.
Won't win any beauty contests, but it works!!
Okay, so I got as much glue on me as on the parts, and had to go run errands with bright blue cement on my hands like I dipped my fingers in the ink well!
And if anyone comments on my blue fingers, I can smugly say, "Oh yeah... I was just doing some PVC repair work!"