Wednesday, November 7, 2007

And you say I can't knit

Pay attention, Miss C, I knit something! Me, your non-knitting mother. And I can even purl... HA! I admit, it is not the most ambitious project, but since I needed to buy a book, needles etc just to start, I thought it was pretty good. I used this book, 1-2-3 Knit. I think is usually comes with water wings and a safety helmet for those of us neophytes (great word... neophytes) but I decided I was grown-up to go without. I did the cover project, a short neck wrap with a split at one end to feed the other end through to secure.

A neighbor in Hawaii tried to teach me to knit as a child. She was, and still is, a stellar knitter, even designing her own patterns. She is one of those (and you know who you are) that never have to look at what she is doing, just follows the rhythm of the needles clicking, and wraps the yarn around the needle with a rapid flick of the yarn-loaded index finger.

Not me. I have a death grip on the needles, burns on my cuticles from trying to control the yarn, and painful dents on the tips of my index fingers from stuffing the needles through the really tight stitches. But, isn't it fun??

Of course, once finished, I needed a model. I haven't been able to take a decent picture of myself in the mirror, something keeps shattering the glass and anyway, I look like my mother and she's been dead for years! Anywho, Nick kindly offered to try on the scarf (really!)

Sassy demonstrates the pose.


Isn't he cooperative?

And I think Nick's going need this scarf soon! We woke up to 28 degrees and frost on the ground.




We had a roaring fire in the fireplace and the colder weather really brought out the playfulness in the dogs. Sassy stole Nick's favorite blue toy, but in the end, they decided to share... Not!


Hope you are having as much fun!!!

3 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

Woo-hoo to the knitter!

I can crochet, but get all messed up once you throw TWO needles at me. I can only handle one thing at a time, don't ya know.

Lisa said...

Me too, usually! But everything else I tried this week p*ssed me off, so I figured I would try something new. Then I'd have a legit reason to be irritated. But, hey! It actually worked out this time!

Celticspirit said...

Hey before you know it you'll be knitting complete doggie outfits! The scarf looks great, I'm proud of you!