Saturday, February 2, 2008

Please send chocolate!!

This is why I am intimidated by and in awe of my sister Christina , all at the same time.

Yesterday, I put in quite a bit of time in my studio working on a long-in-progress project for Almost Grown. Okay, I had the stuff and was supposed to make these last year at this time. So sue me!

Dark grey hoodie with Delta Gamma letters appliqued on the front.

Close up of the silver rick rack, pain in the a$$ trim.

These are two sweatshirt hoodies with sorority letters appliqued on to be wore by "sisters." Since I had to draw the letters myself, then make the contrasting smaller size for the interior, blah, blah, blah, it took me some time and a lot of trial and error. Almost Grown had wanted the letters satin-stitched on with silver metallic thread, but my machine wasn't having any of it. Rick rack was the answer.

So, I spent a couple of days working on this project, and I get an email from my sis about her newest project, another quilt in her goddess line.

Thetis. See her lion's mane and leopard spots?

This is Thetis, a Greek goddess who, to avoid marriage, turns herself into water, fire, a lion or a leopard. I'm sure there are many women out there who wish they could have done the same thing! Thetis is the second goddess quilts that Christina has made, the first was Pele, Hawaiian goddess of fire.

Pele.

Pele has long ago been sold, but I wouldn't be surprised if Thetis didn't show up on Christina's Etsy shop.

So, if you can see why my work pales in comparison to her work, please send chocolate immediately. That's the only way that the little green monster of younger sister sibling rivalry will recede!

4 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

Darlin', your work is fabulous. Your sis just does different stuff.

Stace said...

Be yourself and revel in your own talents. Comparison is never necessary :)

Lisa said...

Truth be told, guys, I was mostly teasing my sister with this post. I am in awe of her work, but I don't quilt, so there isn't anything to compare anyway. I made one large fabric collage, which I gave to her. I will see if I took a photo of it, and will post it someday.

All crafters and artists are filled with self doubt at some time or another. I know I am. But, generally I am happy with my work and really don't compare myself to anyone (well not too much!)

Thanks for the love. Am still waiting for the chocolate!

Unknown said...

You know the goddess of envy belongs to me [I feel a quilt coming on]If you every post some of the fabulous costumes you have made over the years, you would blow me out of the water. I'm talking the period piece gowns you've made for the girls, not to mention the dance custumes over the years. Please post some of those, sis. love me